Nutrition and Cancer (Guest Post)

Nutrition and Cancer
By: Leroy Templeton

                Many cancer patients wonder what they can do to improve their health. When combined with the current methods to fight cancer, nutrition can be an essential and significant tool patients can use to fight cancer.
The Science behind Nutrition as a Means of Fighting Cancer
                Scientist Otto Warburg discovered a connection between oxygen and cancer. In fact, he won a Nobel Prize in 1931 for his research that showed that a lack of oxygen in the cellular environment is the number one cause of cancer. Warburg studies show that cancer cells are anaerobic, which means that cancer cells thrive in an environment that is oxygen depleted. However, in an environment that is rich in oxygen, cancer cells die.
The Type of Foods That Contribute to an Oxygen Rich Environment
                A diet that is rich in alkaline foods helps our bodies to increase oxygen in the cellular environment, thus keeping our bodies healthy and vibrant. An acidic diet sucks the oxygen from cells and creates an environment that is ripe for disease. This not only takes away nutrients from the fruit but also puts one at risk for respiratory cancers such as epithelial mesothelioma.
How to Measure Where You Fall on the PH Scale
                The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14. The optimal blood pH level is 7.365. When the pH level falls below seven the body is too acidic. When the pH level falls above seven it is alkaline. There are urine pH strips on the market that patients can buy to measure their pH levels.
What Should Cancer Patients Eat
                Cancer patients should eat foods that are alkaline rich that supply the body with enzymes and oxygen. Alkaline foods tend to fall in the fruits and vegetables category. Fruits and vegetables provide nutrition that can not only heal and repair the body, but give cancer patients lots of energy as well.
How Much Fruits and Vegetables Should Cancer Patients Eat
                The best plan is to eat 80% of each meal using fruits and vegetables. The other 20% of the meal can be a side dish. It’s also important to remember to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables because when combined a variety or nutrients work best to fight cancer cells.
                In conclusion, when combined with the current methods of treating cancer, nutrition can be a significant tool patients can use to fight cancer.